Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Headwalkers


I haven’t been sleeping well lately.  I have no reasonable excuse.  I just can’t manage to slow my mind down long enough to slip into dreamland.  I’m an over-thinker.  I always have been.  I probably always will be.  It’s not like I’m terrorized by worries, fears, and various haunting regrets.  No; I mean, we have some pretty great parties, my brain and me.  I just need a brain-bouncer who determines closing time and then loudly proclaims, “We’re closed!  Get the F Out!” so we can all call it a night and get some shut-eye.
When I was young and single, I tended to blame my insomnia on the floor of my apartment.  If I lived on the top floor, I figured I’d sleep like a baby.  If I lived on any other floor, I would never, ever sleep again until I packed up all of my worldly possessions into 17 boxes (9 for books, 5 for music, and 3 for thrift shop clothing and couture shoes) and moved to a higher elevation.  Why?  Well, obviously it was the headwalkers.

The headwalkers bump and clump through the night
The sleepless sleeper gets no respite
With a tap and a whap and a clippity clap
They bump and they thump and they never collapse
Night becomes day and day becomes night
But relief never comes from BRIGHT FLASHES OF LIGHT
See, darkness pervades through the eyes in these hours
But each THUMP WUMP WHACK lights a spark with its power
Beyond the dreamless raccoon circled eyes
And into the ZIPPITY BIP WHAPPITY mind!

It’s really fun to say out loud, the faster the better.
Now I live out in the country with only the sweet, subtle sounds of nature to accompany my slumber.  However, it seems that when the bouncer evicted them, the headwalkers took permanent residence in my mind.  Good luck in there, fellas.  It’s a wild ride.

2 comments:

  1. my mother-in-law had a condo in brookline, ma and when we'd visit, her upstairs neighbor, like clockwork, would be up and about around 1 or 2 in the morning, just pacing from one end of her pad to the other. of course headwalkers sound more like an over-active mind than a neighborly issue - not sure though. anyhow, dig your posts heather - keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's both, Ryan! But the poem was born due to an over-active neighbor with unfortunate sleep hours. By the time I lived in Alston Ma, next door to Brookline, I insisted on always renting the top floor! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete